Shelli LaTorre is a fun, romantic singer. Her range and expressiveness is a home-grown recipe that comes from a lifetime of embodying the sounds and styles of Ella Fitzgerald, Chet Baker, Sarah Vaughan and Billie Holiday. She has a gorgeous voice with warmth and radiance that shines through in jazz, rock, and pop songs.
Shelli personalizes every song with natural rhythms and harmonic sensibility. Versatile and creative, Shelli evokes a passion and emotion with her ballads and generates playful, seductive interpretations of upbeat standards.
"Shelli has been an integral part of our live music line-up for years, including New Year's Eve. She keeps our patrons coming back for more!" - The Clinton House (NJ)
Shelli performs on the concert stage, in restaurants, and at private functions. In addition to her regular gigs, Shelli has sold-out Shanghai Jazz, one of DownBeat's Top 100 Great Jazz Clubs, played Trumpets, the Brownstone, Vanderbilt's, Westbury Manor, Bowman's Tavern, the Radisson Hotel at Cross Keys, and many other clubs in New Hampshire, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Maryland. Shelli has also played with the Portland Jazz Orchestra and had numerous radio appearances.
"The charm, charisma and talent of this wonderful musician was the keynote to the success of my very memorable party."
Shelli sings different genres, but - so far - she has saved her recording efforts for jazz classics. Shelli's latest full-length CD, "Full Circle," tells the story of her musical journey through an eclectic mix of American and jazz standards, vocalese, blues and Brazilian repertoire. Great jazz is a team sport and Shelli is proud to have recorded Full Circle with these fantastic musicians (in alphabetical order):
- Steve Ash, piano: US State Department Jazz Ambassador, internationally performing musician, currently music director for the legendary bebop vocalist Jon Hendricks
- Tim Givens, bass: Performed with jazz greats Lou Donaldson, Curtis Fuller and Ray Bryant. Toured with pianist James Williams
- Joel Perry, guitar: Longtime member of Texas Bluesman Johnny Copeland's band. Recorded with Copeland and Stevie Ray Vaughan. Performances with Rosemary Clooney, Joni Mitchell
- Leonieke Scheuble, Hammond B-3 organ: (at the time of the recording, Leonieke was 12 years old). Her 2014 release "Debut" was recorded by Rudy Van Gelder and featured Miles Davis' drummer, Jimmy Cobb. She has already won prestigious awards, including Hot House's "Best Up and Coming Young Artist" in 2015
- Nick Scheuble, drums: Longtime percussionist with Chico Mendoza. Performances with Wynton Marsalis, Wycliffe Gordon
Shelli’s first full-length CD, “From the Hudson’s Jersey Side,” features several treasured classics from the Great American Songbook. Each selection is a live big band performance with the Silver Starlite Orchestra from various choice supper clubs.
“I could only ever imagine myself as a singer”